Thursday, April 30, 2009

Interview with a … customer! Diane Brewer

Hi everyone,


It’s been a while since I did an interview here on NZ Scrapbook Newz so I got thinking who I would like to feature. So many people play important roles in our business – this is definitely not a one man band! When it comes down to it though there is one role we can’t do without and that is YOU our valued customer.


Many of you have shared your stories, milestones and daily lives with us and in turn have become part of our story here at NZ Scrapbook. So as I introduce to you one customer-come-‘family’ member know that you too are honoured as you wear the role customer-come-friend.


Diane with her book from the Language of Flowers class



Interview with a customer... Diane Brewer!


Diane, tell us a little about yourself.

My work is in the area of office administration and has been most of my life. I really enjoy arts and craft, photography, travel, the outdoors, Ceroc dancing, good movies and have recently started Pilates.


What are your main interests in craft? I like to scrapbook and I have a keen interest in learning new techniques especially in the area of altered arts, collage and lately really enjoying journal art.


Right now, journals are where it’s at for me. Doing your journals class got me started and it feels just like me. I get to include lots of things that I like – photography, drawing, writing. It makes every day look great!


There are so many more crafts I would like to try, its just the time that holds me back.


One of Diane's travel Scrapbook layouts - Coins stuck on the page is a neat idea



What sparks you to start a layout or journal spread? Where do you look for ideas?

I start with photos I am using, the colours they have and inspiration from that day. I find pages evolve as I go.


How would you describe your style?

In scrapbooking I like bold colours and straight lines especially mosaic style pages and lots of photos. In my journal it is similar but I enjoy a freer experience trying different things. If I muck it up I can tear it out, a bit more anything goes.


What do you find most challenging in your craft work?

Creating layers in my work. Getting ideas and then translating them onto a page.


Pages from Diane's journal



Do you have a dedicated creative space?

Yes, several actually. I have a spare room with my sewing machine, computer and the bulk of my supplies – this is where I mostly used to work until I got some inspiration from a friend (nudge nudge) and have started working from a table in my lounge. The environment there is nicer, lighter and where I feel the most happy. Plus I can have the TV on at night when I work.


What project is currently on your work table?

Yesterdays journal page.


A Lord of the Rings spread from Diane's New Zealand dedicated Altered Book


Detail from the same New Zealand book



Do you share your creative interests with any family members?

Yes my Mum and two sisters are into craft/scrapbooking, we meet once a week to create together.


How did you come to find New Zealand Scrapbook and what has been your involvement?

I discovered scrapbooking nine years ago and soon after a store opened (NZ Scrapbook) near my work. I started working on scrapbook pages and before long was coming along to all kinds of classes to expand my skills. I worked part time at the Paul Matthew store for about a year and continue to share friendship, attend classes and crops and shop for supplies.


What advice would you offer someone just starting scrapbooking?

Just to jump in and give it a go. Attend classes to learn techniques. Also Crop Nights are a definite – I’ve found when I’m stuck for inspiration or motivation just physically coming along helps you get going again.


Texture heaven in Diane's Pink Altered Book




Time for the mandatory NZ Scrapbook Questions!


Stuck on a desert island with five things what would they be?

Camera, Journal, Supplies, my current novel I’m reading which would have to be a big one and my i-pod.


Favourite TV Show?

Outrageous Fortune


If you could have lunch with anybody past, future or present who would it be?

I don’t know, I haven’t met him yet!


Breakfast this morning?

A mince savory from the bakery


Five facts about Diane:

  1. I’ve been to the Great Wall twice
  2. I had my first ride in a fire engine when I was 35
  3. I like boogie boarding
  4. I’ve parachuted behind a jet boat
  5. I spent 3 days on a train in the Gobi Desert

Diane has fascinating full albums of fab travel layouts



Finally what would you like others to know about Diane?

That I am a nice person who loves to travel, gives things a go and enjoys meaningful relationships with friends and family.


Thank you Diane for giving your time with this interview and even more so for your continued patronage and dear friendship!



~Kathleen


Interested meeting some of the other people involved with our business? Past interviews from our Interview With series:

No comments: