Friday, July 18, 2008

Interview With... A NZ Scrapbook Design Team Member!

Interview With...
Because EVERYONE has a story. Share it ~ Scrapbook it

Hi all!
Last month we got to know Craig Leckner a little better in our Interview With... A Sales Rep article. You may remember he was just about to tip toe down the aisle...hold on, the gals do that!... well you know what I mean. Check out his fine self and stunning leading lady Nadine:

Glad you both had a wonderful day!


Interview With... A New Zealand Scrapbook Design Team Member: Sarah Groen

(This is such a cute photo - check out Sophie, Sarah's daughter. While I was taking the photo she was totally posing... something tells me she has seen a camera once or twice! hehhe)

As I sat down to interview Sarah a couple of things became apparent REALLY quickly. This chickie loves her family, loves her craft, is more than qualified to be in fact interviewing herself and that I MUST get a voice recorder… she says a lot of great stuff and speaks FAST!

Sarah has been on our Design Team for the past year and has produced many beautiful layouts and projects on display in our store for you to gain inspiration and ideas in those slightly stuck moments.


Sarah, tell us a little about yourself

I’m a Mum of five, three boys aged 17, 15 and 14 and two girls 11 and 3. Sophie was the big surprise – nice surprise! My family are from Holland, in fact Groen means Green in Dutch. I grew up in Manchester England and have been living in New Zealand for the last 17-18 years.


How did you get started Scrapbooking?

That’s an interesting story actually; I’ve been scrapbooking for about 2 1/2years starting when one of my sons spent time in hospital. Despite the difficulty of the hospital time we received a lot of support and fun. I made a mini-book showing our experience. Little did I know I was scrapbooking! Not long after that I found a book on scrapbooking and realized the connection. After that I was hooked.

Previously I had dabbled with different crafts such as cross stitch but wouldn’t really consider myself as artistic. I worked as a journalist before children, specifically medical journalism. I still do some part-time, mainly research on new drugs coming to the market. My head was more familiar with the scientific so scrapbooking came as a great discovery of a new skill to me. I have however always had a passion for photography so that tie-in nicely.


Please share with our readers how you came to be involved with NZ Scrapbook Company

Initially I started out as a customer at your (previous) Paul Matthews store, I was prodded about teaching back then (Kathleen: hehehe) then when the opportunity to apply for a design team position came up I applied – one step closer to teaching!


What do you think draws you to scrapbooking?

My photography is a big one. Also I love the products and I love being able to capture those little moments in time that would be otherwise lost or forgotten.


Sarah, I notice from your layouts you are particularly skilled at putting your heart into your journaling. How do you approach your journaling and do you have any tips for our readers?

I keep a diary and now I have a Blog. I like to write as things happen and carry a little notebook. I have a terrible memory so I need to write or I’ll forget! I also journal the way I’d speak often in the 1st person as if I was talking directly to the person in the photos.

What sparks you to start a layout? Where do you look for ideas?

A photograph is usually my starting point and will often springboard ideas. I also have recently enjoyed sketches in magazines.


What do you find most challenging?

Getting started with the arrangement and getting the actual layout of elements right. I also have trouble leaving white space.


Do you have a scrap space? Where about do you tend to scrapbook?

I use the dining room, with 5 children there just isn’t space for a dedicated room.


Current layout project?

I’m working on a layout of my three sons primarily using KaiserCraft papers. It’s a school photo of them in their uniforms – a first for them all together at school.


Do your children share your scrapbooking interests?

I have a son who is very naturally artistic. He does a lot of Japanese cartoon art and we share some of his texture templates he uses for that. He would be horrified to think of it as scrapbooking though! My daughter Natalie loves scrapbooking, she has come to many of the store events and kids classes.

Natalie and Sarah at our Product Preview: Diecuts with a View "All that glitters" Event

How would you describe your style?

Lots of layers of patterned paper and structured in my design. I like to cluster elements, lots of swirls, flourishes, and distressing techniques. Not sure that my style has a name. Lately I have been trying to less on a page, I aspire to different styles beyond my comfort. I would also like to try some pages on a smaller scale, I like the idea of some variation.


What do you see Sarah as bringing to the NZ Scrapbook design team?

Everyone on the team has a different style, I hope to bring a different angle distinctly my own. I aim to show new takes on product and share ideas that will inspire others in their own scrapbooking.


Beyond personal scrapping what other scrapbooking involvement do you participate?

In addition to the NZ Scrapbook Design Team I’m currently on the 2008 Elite Team for Up2Scrap Magazine and recently published in Scrapbooking Memories and For Keeps Magazine.


Where do you see the trends for scrapbooking going?

There are so many new products! Love the overlays that are available. I would love to see a more general awareness of scrapbooking. That is, recognized as more than just a hobby. It really is a therapeutic expression of feelings and I find it relaxing on a busy day. I love to muck about with paint and product for a few hours.


What advice would you offer someone just starting scrapbooking?

Browse different scrapbooking books and magazines and look for ideas and pages that appeal. Keep things basic. I also recommend getting the right tools from the beginning. Having good tools makes a big difference to your enjoyment and result. Also make sure you scrapbook photos that you love. There’s nothing worse than trying to scrapbook out of focus pictures or photos that don’t speak to you. Be patient with yourself, it takes time to develop your personal style.

Also for those more experienced scrapbookers I know from my journalism experience that if you start submitting your work for publication don’t be discouraged if your work is initially not accepted. A turn down is often not a reflection on your work but on what they are specifically looking for on their page presentation. Magazines could be looking for a layout of a particular colour scheme or what will work with other layouts they are using.


Time for the mandatory NZ Scrapbook Questions!


Stuck on a desert island with five things, what would they be?

Apart from the husband and kids? – DVD with Greys Anatomy, Laptop, huge selection of Basic Grey and Creative Imaginations Products, endless coffee and coffee machine, my ipod.


Favorite TV Show?

Grey’s Anatomy, Dexter, Oprah


If you could have lunch with anybody past, future or present who would it be?

Oprah Winfrey. She’s amazing, done so much for the world with her life. My hero.


Breakfast this morning?

Havent had it yet. Coffee. I’m terrible with breakfasts.


Five facts about Sarah?

  • I love coffee
  • I had a pet monkey when I was seven. I lived in Nigeria for 2years while my Dad worked for Michelin Tires. Actually I was born in Nigeria, but shifted early on to England and then back to Nigeria for that period. I would like to go back and visit there one day.
  • I’m scared of the dark
  • I’m scared of slugs, worms and slimy things.
  • As a child I dreamed of being an ice dancer even though I’d never been ice skating!
  • If I could travel anywhere it would be the cross country trip from Los Angeles finishing in New York


Finally, what would you others to know about Sarah?

That I love my husband and children. I am really enjoying where I am at in my life and there are a lot of things that I’d like to do.


Thank you Sarah for your creative and personal input into our design team and thank you for being part of our Interview With Series. We look forward to seeing more beautiful layouts from you and watching you live out your dreams!



Interested in reading our previous Interview With articles? Follow these links...


No comments: