Thursday, June 5, 2008

Interview With... A Scrapbook Sales Rep!

Interview With...
Because EVERYONE has a story. Share it~Scrapbook it

Hi all,
Welcome to our second post in our Interview With series! Following our first entry we received this lovely feedback email:
"I so enjoyed reading your interview with Ann.  Often when we come into the
shop we have a giggle and get our supplies and race home to create!

Ann is always so lovely to deal with in the shop, and I always love seeing
her latest creations. They have inspired me heaps and I have often been
known to go home and do a layout very similar to those of Ann as I love the
way she puts things together. (my favourite at the moment is the Kaiser off
the page book - I think that is so special and I have heard so many lovely
comments about it!).

I think this is a fantastic way to find out a little bit more about people
we see a lot (without being nosey!)."

Thank you Pam for writing in and we are glad you enjoyed Ann's interview! On with today's entry...


So what does a daisy punch, grave digging and commitment to living a healthy life all have in common?? Craig Leckner Scrapbook Sales Rep that's what! Craig has been visiting us for some time now and always brings good humor, excellent service and the occasional donut :) I met up with him a few days before Queens Birthday Weekend and as you will see 2008 has shaped up to be a great year for Craig.


Craig, tell us a little about your role as a Sales Rep and what products do you currently represent? Within the craft category I promote Fiskars, Scotch, Carven, Carl and Artline. In addition, our company supplies office products such as permanent markers and white boards. I see myself primarily in a support role - finding the necessary info to keep our customers up to date and getting product to companies such as yourselves (NZ Scrapbook) as and when you need it.

What do you most enjoy about your position? Meeting people - interaction with all different people, it's different everyday. Some days I will be meeting with office supply managers, other days training in business machines, working at expos or open days.

And the most challenging? Probably relating to product outside your usual knowledge. Understanding the craft market has been a learning curve!

What are some of the observations you have made when dealing with the craft/scrapbooking industry? I have found the people involved are hugely passionate about their craft. Its a genuine passion and for many more than a hobby. I used to sell plants and while it's a very different industry the passion is on par.

Any thoughts on where the scrapbooking industry is heading? We have been seeing growth in new product and fashion items and are introducing consumables that change frequently. Seasonal items.

Rumor has it you've had experience with the Daisy Punch, a bit of a dab hand even. Tell me about this... haha Yes, my expertise is legendary! I am well known through the scrapbooking arena and my advice is frequently sought after..hahha. At SENZ (scrapbooking expo) 2007 I created some state of the art daisy cards, they are on Ebay as we speak!

Speaking of expo events, you've had some involvement with events here at NZ Scrapbook, any in particular stand out to you? Probably Scrap croppy campfest - I forget the name! I got to donate my chef experience by preparing a BBQ breakfast...and poisoned very few!

Yes, your Chef abilities are for real. You weren't always in a sales role, tell us a bit about your career history. I formally owned a Italian Pizzeria called Antonios. It gave me valuable insight as a small business owner. My work history is pretty varied, I've done everything from digging graves (with a spade!), been a pub manager on the West Coast, a driving instructor, owned a courier franchise, even been a Glacier Guide in Franz Josef. Though since having had a kidney transplant, I've slowed down a bit.

I know 2008 continues to be a landmark year for you. What are some of the highlights? I'm a keen fisherman so am very pleased to have bought a new boat, bought my first house, upgrade on the company car...hmmm (jokingly).... anything else?... Oh yes and I'm getting married this weekend!

I also won a trip from the company to Japan. I now have a new appreciation for raw fish and sake. Oh, and if I never see another piece of tofu I will be happy. Going to a baseball game while I was there was pretty cool. We watched it from the corporate box eating swordfish.

Time for the mandatory NZ Scrapbook Questions!
Stuck on a desert island with five things, what would they be? Fishing gear. Apart from the new wife what else do you need??

Favorite TV Show? Toss up between Boston Legal and Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares.

If you could have lunch with anybody past, future or present who would it be? Bruce Willis. I'd like to talk to him.

Breakfast this morning? Porridge and Apple

Five facts about Craig:
  • I left school to work as a Porter
  • I once drove out of a petrol station with the gas nozzle still in the tank
  • I'm afraid of spiders
  • I love having dinner parties
  • I recently lost my car in Newmarket and when I got back to the office my workmates considerately had arrows from the doorway pointing my way back to my desk!
What do you want others to know about Craig? It's my deepest desire to see others look after themselves. After getting sick and the transplant my perspective has altered a lot. It upsets me to see people throw their health away. Ive since done a number of talks at the Kidney Foundation on what to expect and how to get through it. It has been rewarding to help people in this way.


Craig, whether its through your talks, feeding people culinary delights or suppling stores such as ourselves with great new products you are helping many people every day. You continue to do a great job and thank you for being part of our Interview With series. From all of us here at New Zealand Scrapbook Company we wish you and your new wife Nadine a very wonderful and happy life together.


~Kathleen

No comments: