Saturday, May 24, 2008

Interview with a.... Shop.gurl - Ann McLachlan!

Hi All,
Welcome to our first Interview With blog post! I've been excited about introducing you to some many of the different people whom we come into contact with here at NZ Scrapbook. From our teachers and designers to brand managers and manufacturers - this journey over the next weeks and months is going to be fun!

To start off I thought it would be a idea to start with one of our full time staff members. So here goes!

Interview With a...Shop.gurl - Ann McLachlan!


Ann, what first introduced you to scrapbooking and how long have you been scrapbooking for? I first attended a Creative Memories evening at a local church. I've always been creative, I've cross stitched, done ribbon embroidery and cardmaking. I've been scrapbooking for six years.

What was your first ever layout and tell us about what project is currently on your work table? My first layout was on my son Joshua. Currently I'm working on a layout on how my daughter doesnt like the colour pink. I'm using Chatterbox papers in blues and browns, copper rub-on flowers by We Are Memory Keepers and Noteworthy chipboard, Prima flowers and Kaiser rhinestones... I'm sure there will be beads in there somewhere cos I just can't help myself!

What draws you to scrapbooking? The creative freedom it offers. Creating layouts that my kids really get a kick out of.

Your pages are very full of love, where do you find your inspiration Ann? Not sure, most of it is spontaneous. I sit down and do what comes. A lot of my inspiration comes from my children, that and their sometimes goofy photos!

How would you describe your style? Structured, framed layouts. Lots of layers and I LOVE beads. Totally a bead addict and Basic Grey addict. I will always reach for Basic Grey first.

What do you find most challenging when you're creating? Structuring the layout. It can be quite hard to start but then it all just clicks into place. I'm quite finicky about placement. Finishing touches are important to me which is probably why I love beading so much. I would like to develop a more freestyle style, I find it challenging to leave a lot of white space.

What piece of advice would you give to beginning scrapbookers? Keep it simple and focus on the photos.

We love having you as part of the New Zealand Scrapbook family, how did you come to be a full time shop.gurl? I've been a long time customer, back when it was the small shop in Paul Matthews Road. I used to look forward to coming in and seeing Paula and Joanne, so getting to work with them is great!

What do you most enjoy about being a New Zealand Scrapbook Shop.gurl? Getting to work with all the staff is fun, we have a lot of laughs. I also love helping customers with suggestions for their projects. I also enjoy creating shop displays and finding that I have some flair for it!

Congratulations Ann on also becoming part of our NZ Scrapbook Design Team! What do you hope to bring to the team? I think a different style to the other members which compliments the work they do.

What does your current scrapbook hobby look like? Busy. I participate in a scrapbook challenge group, I'm a Fiskars Demonstrator, of course a NZ Scrapbook Shop.gurl and NZ Scrapbook Design Team member. You can find my layouts on a few internet websites including the Basic Grey Gallery. Its my personal goal to have 6 layouts up there by the end of the year. So far I'm at 4. I've been published in both Australian and New Zealand scrapbooking magazines and am very proud of my recent published layout in Up2Scrap Magazine. My scrapbooking hobby is more an obsession - and it's cheaper than therapy!

How would you like to see the current trends in scrapbooking develop? I don't really follow trends. As long as there is a style that appeals to me and Basic Grey keep releasing new ranges I'm happy!

Ok some random questions...
Stuck on a desert island with five things what would they be? Besides my family? - A scrapbooking tote and supplies, laptop with internet connection, a good book and a bottle of Pinot Gris.

Favourite TV Show? Amazing Race and Survivor , a bit of a reality tv junkie!

If you could have lunch with anybody past, future or present who would it be? Henry the 8th. I am completely fascinated with him, his life and all his wives!

Breakfast this morning? Uncle Toby's Oats and banana. Quick and keeps me going!

Five facts about Ann:
  • I can't swim
  • When I was two I was blind for three days
  • I'm happiest when I'm on a plane - I think it's my gypsy heritage!
  • When I was a child I wanted to be a librarian
  • My favourite animal is the tiger. For my birthday my husband treated me to a trip to the Zion Wildlife Gardens and spent 1/2 hour with a tiger cub. It was an amazing experience.
What do you want others to know about Ann?
I just want to be known as a nice person who is respectful and helpful to others.

Well Ann, there is no doubt about that :) Thank you for being part of the New Zealand Scrapbook family and being the subject of our first Interview With entry!

Thanks all for reading and be sure to say hi to Ann next time you're in store!

A couple of lovely projects Ann has currently on display in store using the latest Disney Cricut Cartridges.




~ Kathleen

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

YAY Ann! You have a lovely style, and if I'm stuck I do tend to check your blog first, If any of my layouts look familiar - you will know why! This week I tried copying your beads from the book you have in store - mine don't quite look as nice as yours, but I will keep trying til mine are as perfect as yours! Thanks for the inspiration!!

Mrs Frizz said...

Woo hoo Ann ... go you!!!

Your creative talent blows me away ... you are amazing!!!