Tuesday, June 24, 2008

A GREAT start to a Tuesday morning!

Hello all!
This morning I woke to this bright shiny new email:


Subject: Congrats Kathleen you won the Bridal Brainstorm contest!

Hello Kathleen! Congrats, you have been chosen as the GRAND PRIZE winner for the Bridal Brainstorm contest, YEAH!! We loved the dress you created and thought the details were beautiful! We have featured your dress on our blog and will be sending you out your prize. What is the best mailing address?
Thanks again for your lovely entry!

Best regards,

Graphic 45



Wooohooo!!!!

Graphic 45 is such a great range of scrapbooking goodness so it was a pleasure to create this Bridal Jewelery Doll:


The competition requirements were to create a papercraft project using their delightful Baby 2 Bride range of papers.

While browsing my local Hospice store I came across some broken jewelery stand torsos (50c!) - a perfect starting point. The next challenge was to work out how to make the dress part. My initial thought was to fit her to a box lid so you could put wedding trinkets inside but when I couldn't find a box of suitable size I searched through my stash of work room STUFF and came up with a biscuit tin and a block of Styrofoam (yes, I have a fascinating workroom! heheh).


The next step was to hot glue all my base pieces together and carve away the Styrofoam into a dress shape...


At this point I found my groove! In other words, I got too busy and completely forgot to take more photos.

The main thing with something like this is you want to be able to focus on the design and forget about covering up her ugly undergarm... I mean base. So I completely covered the parts I wanted to hide with a big drape of lace. This also added fullness and peeks of lace throughout the design.

I folded each sheet of the Baby 2 Bride papers into about 8 layers to save time on cutting and cut large petal shapes then curled the edges to create a shabby type look. Each petal was pinned into place starting at the bottom of her dress and working my way up to her torso. Torso pieces were added by attaching with hot glue.

To complete her dress a small corset shape was cut from the paper and glued into place and a bow for the back of her dress.

Final details are pearls added to each petal and neckline and Crystalina Kindyglitz to all the paper edges - she shimmers beautifully!

If you want take a closer look she is on display in store. I would encourage you to try something like this yourself, she was much fun to make! Let me know if you have any questions :)


Thank you Graphic 45!
~Kathleen

PS: We won, more Baby 2 Bride papers (yay!) and sample packs of their new ranges released in July - Can't wait to see those!!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey you, WAY to go girl!!Well done!!They know WHO you are hehe.
shop.gurl

Anonymous said...

Woo Hoo!!!
How cool, it's just gorgeous Kathleen...WTG!!!
Congratulations.

Shop.Gurl AKA Ann
;-)

Anonymous said...

Winner Wendy Jones? Wendy Jones? Wendy Jones? Just tricking. Excellent Job. I'm willing to share the prize. What have we won.

Kathleen said...

Thank you monkey.gurls - I mean Shop.gurls! :P What have WE won? hahah nice try... well ok, I'm a softie...might let ya play with the purtty papers.

Danice said...

Well done Kathleen! I saw that last nice and I commented on how beautiful it was, I'm so pleased you were recognised for such gorgeousness, and umm can I share too?????

Kathleen said...

Thank you Danice!! hahaha share?? You might have to fight the Wendy gurl for it first...lol